Sunday, April 20, 2008

Trip 3 - Louisville State Rec Area

We visited Louisville SRA this past weekend and had a very enjoyable time. This SRA is close to home is is very economical on the "gas budget". Its about 12 miles straight south of the 144th st exit off of I-80 in Omaha.

I was a little surprised as we first pulled in at the number of campers already at the park. The reservable sites on the west end of the park were fairly full and the non-reservable sites on the east end were pretty full as well. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised as the weather forecast called for great weather on Saturday and Sunday. Friday night was a little chilly but it more than made up for it on Saturday as the high in the ballpark of 70 with a slight breeze.

I got to try out the new flag pole I recently fabricated out of 1.5 in and 2in PVC pipe and I couldn't have been more pleased with how it turned out. I may make some adjustments down the line to the mount but as it sits now it is working very well. I have TWO more 6.5' lengths that can be added to this as well but in retrospect I probably will never use those as this pole at 20' works very well. (see pics below)



The Mackey's came out for the day on Saturday and we all enjoyed biking, fishing and going for ice cream at the snack shack. Sabra was convinced that she could definitely get into "this" type of camping. Heck, convincing the wife tends to be the harder part so its ONE down and ONE to go (well Trav??? )



Brother Corey also stopped by with his new TOY. Wow, what a SHARP ride. My wife insists that I spent my motorcycle money on a camper and I agree with her (for a few years anyhow).

Alyssa was the fishing champ for the weekend hauling in 5 fish with Mom taking second place with 4 and Dad getting skunked. I enjoyed watching all the girls fishing on Saturday and having them all have a good time. The 10 minutes I did get to fish I played with one fish in particular that continued to snag my bait and spit my hook back at me. He won this time but better watch out next time.

I got an unexpected surprise this weekend when one of my buddies I met online through the Open Roads Forum pulled through the park on Friday night. He and his wife and kids were camping up on the west end of the park and I got to meet him in person for the first time. Kind of a small world, I look forward to getting to know them better and sharing many camping experiences with them as well. He has two girls who are 9 and 13 so that could make a good mix with Alyssa. (Thanks for the poker, my turn to buy next time :-) )
All in all it was a great weekend as I finally feel as though I have this thing down. We actually pulled the awning out for the first time, lit the water heater and pretty much have mastered the basic knowledge of this trailer. One thing we did learn is that we need to ration water a little better. We've got 50 gallons to start with but when you run it like you do at your house it doesn't last nearly as long.
POWER PROBLEMS UPDATE: I did end up replacing the GFI receptacle and all is working well. I wouldn't have expect the receptacle to go bad on a brand new trailer but then again it was a pretty easy fix and all is working like new now...
Some more pictures of the flag pole...





Next up: Tuttle Creek COVE - Manhattan Kansas - Colbert Hills golfing trip...

Until next time - B

No comments: