Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Trials and Tribulations of Finding a spot during a Holiday Weekend

Our MO is short trips to local areas most of the time. Somewhere we can get in an hour or two at the most especially if its a standard weekend or a long weekend. I like the travel and getting there but its more economical to stay close and there is PLENTY to do and see within 100 miles of the BIG O. With all the planning and details associated with our big family vacation I screwed around and didn't get a reservation for Labor Day. We were supposed to meet up with the Thomas's at Louisville so when I didn't make our reservation in time I figured I'd line us up with a first come first served site, hey, at least we'd be at the same park even if we weren't neighbors. WELL, I called out there bright and early Wednesday morning and the lady at the desk told me she just sold her last site on Tuesday night. HUH, the park is FULL already!!!! Come to discover you don't actually have to pull your camper out and set it up at the site but you do need to go the the Campground and register and pay for a site ahead of time and OH yes pay for the night you may not plan on staying just to be sure you have a site.... After she explained this to me it made more sense, in all reality Louisville is way less than half full on Wednesday and maybe more like 25% but all the reservable are reserved and all the first come first served are paid for and tagged even if they are sitting empty.... NOVEL idea, my knowledge is now expanded. The proximity of Louisville to Omaha really leave this as a easy thing for campers to do, drive down a few days early and get a spot, and evidently a lot of them do. 15 minutes south of 144th and I-80 is an easy quick drive out after work for anyone who seriously wants a spot.

SO, in one last ditch effort to land a spot I called TWO Rivers on Wednesday morning. This campground is the same distance and is located out by the little town of VENICE south west of Elkhorn. I am thinking NO way, probably the same story second verse. The man on the other end said YEP, 13 electrical sites left but you better hurry. AWESOME BABY AWESOME... This was at 10AM mind you. I decided to run out to the campsite at lunchtime and left the office around 12:15. I pull into the park at shortly there after and ask about his 13 sites, well, now were down to TWO and you have to go take a look at the site before I will rent it to you. WHAT, just what does that mean! SO, I take a look at the site and I understand why they make you take a look, there has been some dirt work done and basically these last two sites could be classified as the worst sites in the park. HEY, live and learn I guess. I decided to take one and when I went back another guy was taking the other. The catch is this, the park had probably 10 campers on location for around 75 or so sites so the proximity to Omaha played a factor in filling this campground too. OH WELL, we are camping and we'll make the most of it and really are looking forward to more "face time" with the family.... Stay tuned for our post trip report.

Until Next Time - B

No comments: